Associate Professor, Career Track 8/2023 – Present
Lead Faculty, Pullman Campus 3/2023 – Present
Assistant Professor, Career Track & Director of Undergraduate Studies 8/2020 – 8/2023
Instructor & Assistant Director 8/2017 – 7/2020
Lecturer 8/2016 – 7/2017
Department of Digital Technology & Culture
Washington State University
- Teach a wide variety of courses in video production, graphic design, web design, and multimedia production.
- Create and design new courses to expand the offerings of the Digital Technology & Culture program at WSU.
- Lead recruitment and outreach efforts for the Digital Technology & Culture program.
- Supervise the DTC internship program.
Emerging Technology & Multimedia Specialist – 7/2014 – 8/2017
Academic Outreach and Innovation
Washington State University
- Researched and developed new technology for use in instruction.
- Supervised a team of media professionals in the creation of quality media for classes.
- Evaluated and recommend instructional, media, and technical hardware and software for purchase.
- Instructed workshops and one-on-one sessions on the academic uses of technology.
- Led teams on production-focused trips with large quantities of media equipment.
Lecturer, 8/2015 – 5/2016
Edward R. Murrow College of Communication, Washington State University
Media Arts Instructor, 9/2013 – 6/2014
Arts and Academics Academy
Associate Faculty, 9/ 2008 – 8/2013
Digital Filmmaking & Gender and Women’s Studies, Shoreline Community College
- Completely redesigned Digital Filmmaking department curriculum to reflect the strengths of the current faculty and take advantage of employment opportunities in the regional arts community.
- Created Applied Associate of Sciences – Transfer degree in Digital Film Production; including writing or revising 15 separate Master Course Outlines.
- Placed students in community-based learning environments such as Clatter and Din, Victory Studios, Biz Kid$, the Seattle International Film Festival, the Seattle Lesbian and Gay Film Festival, Screaming Flea Productions, and feature films like Eden and Safety Not Guaranteed.
- Established articulation agreements with several high schools and non-profits in the area so that their students can receive college credit for higher-level film and video work they are doing in their high schools through the TechPrep program.
- Created the first Digital Filmmaking scholarship fund through the SCC Foundation and organized the seed event to fund the scholarship.
Lecturer, 1/ 2012 – 6/2013
Center for University Studies and Programs, University of Washington Bothell
Instructor & Volunteer, 3/2008 – 2/2012
University Beyond Bars, Monroe, Washington
Instructor & Volunteer, 11/2005 – 3/2010
- Created the first Reel Grrls booklet on basic production guidelines and elements including: lighting, shot composition, editing, and field sound recording.
Supervised several video projects that have been featured at national and international film festivals including: Sundance Film Festival, Gen-Y Studio, Hong Kong International Film Festival, San Diego Film Festival, the Women’s Film Festival in Seoul, and many more.
- Mentored several young women who have gone on to study at prestigious universities like Layola Marymount, New York University, and The Cooper Union.
Coordinated the first Reel Grrls Board Fundraiser in September 2007, attended by over two hundred friends of Reel Grrls. Event raised $37,000 and increased awareness of the organization in the Puget Sound region.
- Established an articulation agreement between Shoreline Community College and Reel Grrls whereby participating girls receive college credit for work completed through Reel Grrls.
Video Production Instructor, 6/2008 – 8/2008
Seattle Community Access Network
Video Production Instructor, 2/2007 – 4/2007
Adobe Youth Voices
Screenwriting Instructor, 9/2005 – 11/2005
Arts Now, Edmonds Community College
Graduate Teaching Assistant, 6/2001 – 8/2004
School of Film and School of Media Arts, Ohio University
Creative Industries Experience
Founder, Director, & Curator, 4/2009
Social Justice Film Festival
Production Assistant, 10/2005
Digital Duo, KCTS Channel 9
Fundraiser & Volunteer Coordinator, 9/2001 – 5/2004
Athens International Film and Video Festival, Ohio University
Page, 12/2001 – 5/2002
Production Assistant, 1/1999 – 3/1999
Washington State Department of Information Services
Contributing Writer, 8/1994 – 8/1996
Vice President, Board of Directors, Kenworthy Performing Arts Center, Moscow, Idaho, 1/2019 – 12/2019
Board of Directors Member, Kenworthy Performing Arts Center, Moscow, Idaho, 10/2016 – 12/2018
Screenwriting Judge, Broadcast Educators Association, 2013, ’15, ’16
Individual Artist Grant Reviewer, 4Culture, Seattle, Washington, 5/2015
Service Advisory Committee Member, Seattle International Film Festival, 2013
Media Arts Advisory Committee, Edmonds School District, 9/2010 – 6/2012
Guest Speaker, American Association of University Women, Bellevue, Washington, 3/2012
Grants & Fellowships
Center for Arts and Humanities Fellowship, WSU, 2022 ($9,000)
Smith Teaching & Learning Grant, Provost’s Office, WSU, 2021 ($5,000)
Center for Arts and Humanities Catalyst Grant, WSU, 2021 ($4,000)
Student Technology Fee Grant, Washington State University, 2017 ($67,441.99)
Teaching and Learning Center Research Scholarship, University of Washington Bothell, 2013 ($800)
The Humanities and Technology (THAT) Camp Fellowship, 2011 ($500)
Non-Traditional Workforce Grant, Shoreline Community College, 2010 ($5,000)
Non-Traditional Workforce Grant, Shoreline Community College, 2009 ($5,000)
Perkins Best Practices Grant, Shoreline Community College, 2009 ($12,000)
Student Achievement Initiative, Shoreline Community College, 2009 ($6,000)
Student Enhancement Award, Ohio University, 2004 ($6,000)
Graduate Student Senate Grant for Original Work, Ohio University, 2004 ($500)
Pop Culture Association, 2011 – Present
Women in Film – Seattle, 2005 – 2015
Gregory, Ruth. “Music of the Spheres: Telling Stories in 360 Degrees.” Pop Culture Association Conference, March 2016.
Gregory, Ruth. “Lights, Camera, Education: Best Practices for Video in Online Education.” WSU TechEd Conference, October 2015.
Gregory, Ruth. “Women on Film: Using The Bechdel Test to Explore Male Privilege Across Disciplines.” UWB Teaching and Learning Symposium, April 2013.
Gregory, Ruth. “Tips and Tricks: Using Film, Television, and Media in Lectures and Assignments.” Panel Invitation. National Pop Culture Association/American Culture Association Conference, March 2013.
Gregory, Ruth. “All Hail The Chief!: Adolescent Masculinity in Reaganite Teen Films.” National Pop Culture Association/American Culture Association Conference, March 2013.
Lerum, Kari, Ruth Gregory, Jayne Swift, and Stephanie Wahab. “Hollywood Stripper Stories: Can Films about Exotic Dancers Be Feminist?” University of Washington Bothell Teaching and Learning Symposium, February 2013.
Gregory, Ruth, “The Historiography of Cinema History.” University of Washington Bothell Masters of Arts in Cultural Studies Conference. May 2011.
Gregory, Ruth, “The Historiography of Cinema History.” National Pop Culture Association/American Culture Association Conference. April 2011.
Gregory, Ruth. “Reproductive Rights and Athletics: The Curious Case of Female Ski Jumpers.” The Society Pages: Sexuality and Society. Web. 9 January 2010. thesocietypages.org/sexuality.
Certificate in Excellence in Teaching Online, Washington State University – 6/14
Master of Arts in Cultural Studies, University of Washington Bothell – 6/11
Master of Fine Arts in Film, Ohio University – 6/05
Graduate Certificate in Women’s Studies Ohio University – 6/04
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts, The Evergreen State College – 6/99